Shortcode - it's an opportunity to display different content in the store. In our situation, you can display a language switcher wherever you need it. Let's consider how to use the shortcode.
For example, you want to add a language switcher to a navigation menu. We will show this situation on our store. Here is our navigation menu, where we already have a currency switcher. But we need to add a language switcher too.
So, to add a switcher to the navigation menu, follow the steps:
- Go to the Settings => Languages.
- Click Switchers and choose the switcher you need or add new by clicking Add new switcher.
- In the Switcher position choose Relative and copy the switcher's shortcode.
- Go to the Online Store section of your Shopify account and choose Navigation.
- Find the Main menu and click it. (If you want to add a language switcher to the footer, click Footer)
- Click Add new item.
- In the appeared window you will see two fields.
- Paste the shortcode to the Name field. Type # symbol in the Link field and click Add.
- Here is your shortcode. Now you need to click Save and the switcher will appear in the navigation menu of your store.
Let's check our store. We see that the switcher is in the navigation menu.
If someday you decide to delete the switcher from the navigation menu, just click on the trash icon near the shortcode.
We've described the situation when we add the switcher to the navigation menu. But shortcode this is such a universal thing that allows you to insert a switcher into any content.
For example, you want to add a switcher to the product's description (why not?). For this, you should copy the shortcode (make the first two steps from the described guide above) open the product where you want to add a switcher and paste the shortcode to the product's description field. When you save the changes, a switcher will appear in the product's description.